Nanking Massacre

Since the point of this entry is not me telling you what I know about this atrocity, you can check the link below if you have no idea what I'm going to talk about.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanking_Massacre

I have mixed thoughts and feelings towards this tragic event which is a part of my history. Although, to my knowledge, my family was not directly affected by this event I feel that this event is important because of my ethnic background. I feel that we should not hate the Japanese people for what their ancestors did, but I can not help but have feelings of hatred in a tiny corner of my heart. I think, that I do not have enough "good" in me to forgive the soldiers for what they did, even if the Japanese government makes a public apology. I know that I'm probably getting a little too personal with this issue but why do some of the Japanese people choose to pretend that this part of their history never existed? The government event went as far as censoring this from their school text books. The things they did were so inhumane, I don't think I'll be able to write about them but the event in general should not be forgotten or ignored. It is sad to see Chinese people on the Internet posting hateful messages such as "kill all the Japanese!". These messages are very ignorant because we should not hate them for being Japanese. In fact we shouldn't hate anyone at all. But still, I think that I will never be able to have enough "good" in me to forgive the soldiers who did what they did in Nanking (Nanjing). There were a few soldiers who I will forgive, because they had personally acknowledged what they had done and had fought for justice and history, most notably Shiro Azuma (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shiro_Azuma).

0 comments: